Thursday, May 9, 2013

"It is I, don't be afraid." - John 6:20 NIV

"When evening came, his disciples went down to the lake,
where they got into a boat and set off across the lake for Capernaum.
By now it was dark, and Jesus had not yet joined them.
A strong wind was blowing and the waters grew rough.
When they had rowed three or three and a half miles,
they saw Jesus approaching the boat, walking on the water;
and they were terrifed. But he said to them,
'It is I; don't be afraid.'"
John 6: 16-20 NIV

"It is I; don't be afraid:" from a story that most might have read a million times in there Bible, this particular phrase stuck out to me.  You see, recent events in the community I live have caused a bit of confusion and have rattled a few to the core of who they are.  In fact, recent events not just in the community but in our nation have caused some to ask: "Why would God let this happen?"  Well, never fear Jesus says to us: "It is I: don't be afraid."

As I read these simple words one morning during my devotional time, it brought a sense of encouragment and strength.  My prayer turned from "Why" to "Thank you."  Now that may seem like a weird switch to some people, but...

...SOMETHING TO THINK ABOUT:  the disciples in our story from John were in a tough situation and they might have been asking: "O Lord, why did we get into the boat?" or "Lord, why did this storm come?"  They were caught up in their situation when here comes Jesus, walking on the water, coming through the trial and tribulation they felt in their hearts, minds and bodies and he says: "Here I am, don't be afraid."  In simple terms, "What are you worried about?"

God is still God and will always be God through all things!  Lets repeat that....God is still God and will always be God THROUGH ALL THINGS!

Now that is something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment